Friday, July 9, 2010

Adventures for a Lifetime!

Since we last updated, we have relocated ourselves, and our belongings to Texas. We have been working around my parents' house, installing new windows and replacing the siding around them. Tomorrow we will begin a major painting expedition to make all the sided parts of the house look nice.

Just for the record, other adventures we have undertaken this summer since our Angel Island excursion are: Driving up Mt. Diablo and spending some time climbing and clamoring around "Rock City" at Mt. Diablo State Park.

(I'll get the Mt. Diablo pictures up here when I can use a different computer) (Pictures added 1/7/2011, 1)John and I at the lookout point at the top of Mt. D. 2)Me in a windcave. 3)Elizabeth, the last one is for you! (John standing next to where someone carved the words "ELIZABETH I LOVE YOU into the rock))

Today we went to the Fort Worth Zoo, which was a blast. We saw otters, bats, gerenuks, komodo dragons, lions, elephants, snakes, frogs, newts, giraffes, gharial, and more! Unfortunately, as we were getting out of the car upon our arrival, to our dismay we realized that we left our camera back home. Sheesh! This slight drawback to our zoo visit was completely forgotten in the light of an exciting happenstance! I finally pieced together my first full, grammatically correct sentence in Russian! Гипопотома зуб большои. The tooth of the hippopotamus is big. John later said that while this is technically a correct sentence it would usually be said "У гипопотома зуб большои." "The hippopotamus has a big tooth." But there it is! My first unassisted Russian sentence! And the only word I had to ask John for in order to complete my sentence was "big." Yes, the words hippopotamus and tooth are in my Russian vocabulary that I've committed to memory, and "big" is new territory for me. Strange, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment