Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hmm, That was Unexpected!

Last Friday, I went to the BYU Student Health Center and underwent a lactose tolerance test. While we know that for about the past 2 years dairy has been making me sick beyond all reason, we only guessed that it was lactose intolerance, and my doctor wanted to make sure that was the case.

The Procedure: Go in fasting for 8 hours (8:00am), get a blood sample taken, then chug down, as fast as humanly possible, a not-quite dissolved/gritty, sort of orange flavored mixture of lactose sugar and water, and wait. 15 minutes pass, they take another blood sample. 15 more minutes pass, they take another blood sample. 15 more minutes pass, they take another blood sample. 30 minutes pass they take another blood sample. 30 more minutes pass they take the last blood sample. So 2 hours, 6 pokes later, almost the entirety of Mary Poppins, and a long conversation about agriculture with someone in for a glucose test to see about gestational diabetes, I was dismissed, hungry and a tad woozy.

Today, I called for the results:

I'm not lactose intolerant.

...but what does this mean for the unpleasantness that I have come to associate with dairy products? Well, if it was the casein protein, I would probably break out in hives just from touching the stuff. My doctor's best guess, is that I'm just sensitive to it. My body reacts to it, and no one will be able to tell me why.

My current hope:

That I'll be able to work my way, slowly back on to dairy products and teach my body that this is the stuff it really needs.

For now, I think I'll celebrate lactose tolerance with a leftover cheese roll from dinner the other night!

3 comments:

  1. So, uh, how'd that work out for you? haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just fine! Actually, I have in the past week enjoyed a homemade chicken cordon bleu and beef stroganoff with little to no side effects! Mind you I'm trying to not overdo it, so I'm not eating a ton at a time, and leaving several days between exposures, but it is working well for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is rather nice to rule things out. I hope that you plan works and that the non-dairy part of you life is just temporary!

    ReplyDelete