Fortunately, no one here is named Mary, nor has a contrary disposition, but our garden is surely growing! Here is the grand tour.
 |
Left to right: A row of chard, 2 rows of tiny carrots, one clump of leeks Back to front: 3 peas, 2 celery |
 |
| Right to left: that same row of chard, a row of small brussels sprouts, 2 rows of broccoli |
 |
| Yellow squash and zucchini, one tomato, four bell peppers (the very front one is small) |
 |
| I think these are cucumbers. |
 |
| Left to right: you can see one pumpkin, several watermelons, more cucumbers and a summer squash (I'll tell you which when I figure it out) |
 |
| Three tomatoes, three pumpkins, and a repeat of some watermelons |
 |
| These pumpkins have me excited. The variety is Cheyenne Bush Pumpkins. I'll let you know more after harvest! |
 |
| The watermelons might just be what I'm most excited for. I've kinda been craving them this summer. |
 |
| First fruits: yellow squash |
 |
| And what is this growing here? |
This year is largely experimental. You may note that most of the plants are very small. This is because most of my starts lodged (tipped and died) and so I planted just about everything from seed. The plants that are large (tomatoes, zuccs, and yellow squash) were pretty much all extras that the other gardeners gave us, because who can stand to throw away a perfectly good plant? and I figured I had some extra room, so I took them. We're learning as we go, and are making plans for next year.
This 18x20 plot is furnished by our housing community, and we paid $50 for the opportunity to cultivate it, which pays for the tilling, cover-crop during winter, and all the water, compost and mulch we can use.
Most of the weeds we've been pulling, I'm pretty sure, are volunteers from last year's gardener: radishes, asian red amaranth, and some that I haven't bothered identifying. So far we've harvested some tiny celery stalks.
All-in-all, we're enjoying the evening walks to water and weed. We've been really excited as each set of recognizable cotyledons has emerged and leafed, and we're very hopeful for our harvest!
No comments:
Post a Comment