Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Quick Artictisc Re-Cap

While I'm laboring intensively to finish the last few assignments of the semester, I decided to take a short break and post some of my creative endeavors from the past month or so. There are two of particular note that I want to address. The first is that I finished the sweater-vest I made John for Halloween this past year.

We went as Wallace and Gromit. You will notice that in this picture from Halloween John is wearing what is a MOSTLY finished vest. The only part I didn't get to on time was the waistband. And after crocheting non-stop for a full 2 weeks to get the main body of the vest done (as pictured) it took me 5 months to complete the 3"X34-ish" waistband. Why you ask? The gauge. It needed to be tighter than I usually crochet things and therefore, I didn't mess with it very often or for very long when I did. But here is the final picture of the finished vest:

I had hoped to have it done on time for him to wear on St. Patrick's Day, but I missed that deadline by about a week. Oh well, there's always next year, right John? (I don't think he's very inclined to wear it in public accept as a costume).


The next creative endeavor I wish to highlight is John's birthday cake. Last year's cake wasn't too fancy, just a torted round cake with icing that said "Happy 23rd John!!!" (I think I have a picture somewhere). This year, with that fantastic cake pan we got way back in August I decided to do something a little more dramatic. I was going to make it even MORE dramatic, but I couldn't come across any LEGO knights on short notice without shelling out more than my party budget on shipping. As it was...I gave it a moat and a dragon! What more could anyone possibly need, right? Well...I was thinking about siege-ing knights, and defenders and barrels of " hot oil" (honey) being poured on the knights brave enough to try the ladders, and...well, let's just say that I will be claiming my old LEGO sets sometime in the future!

Well, schoolwork beckons. I must heed the call! And maybe the next time I post on here, I will be a BYU Alumnus! Isn't that an exciting thought!?

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the cake! I want to learn more about cake decorating...take a class at Micheal's or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great costume idea! Cheese!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did you make the dragon out of that marshmallow fondant stuff? Looks fun!!

    ReplyDelete